[R] [FORGED] Re: Wolfram Engine for Developers

Rolf Turner r@turner @end|ng |rom @uck|@nd@@c@nz
Sun Jul 7 00:37:52 CEST 2019

On 6/07/19 11:15 PM, Jeff Newmiller wrote:

<SNIP>

> I have tried both Mathematica and Wolfram Alpha at times and found neither
> of them so compelling that I felt the slightest bit jealous of people who
> have licensed access to Wolfram's tools and services.

<SNIP>

You mean "... *envious* of people ... "!!! :-)

I once explained the difference between "envious" and "jealous" to my
wife Victoria, by means of the following parable:

Suppose that you were walking down that the street one day, engaged in
conversation with our good friend Jeff Newmiller [1] and you chanced to
look up and catch sight of me, locked in a hot passionate embrace with
[e.g.] Tessa Thompson.  *You* (Victoria) would be jealous.  Jeff would
be envious.

cheers,

Rolf

[1] Obviously I used the name of a bloke who is actually in my wife's
and my circle of acquaintances when I first inflicted this parable upon
my wife.  Also I am "of course" assuming here that Jeff is heterosexual.

--
Honorary Research Fellow
Department of Statistics