[R] Sample size required to estimate population variance

Stephen Ellison S@E|||@on @end|ng |rom LGCGroup@com
Fri Jul 5 15:28:49 CEST 2019

>  Thanks for the suggestion but I'm not sure that it answers my original
> question.I need to know how many samples I need to collect to collect in
> order to estimate the sample size needed to achieve a specific margin of
> error for confidence intervals for the population variance. I'm not sure
> whether the pwr package does that.

You could consider the case of 50% power, though that'd not be exact for asymmetry.

But if this is a simple univariate data set, it sounds like messing around with chi-squared quantiles and uniroot ought to work. Exactly how are you calculating your confidence limits and which one (upper or lower) needs to be of a specific size?

This email and any attachments are confidential. Any use, copying or
disclosure other than by the intended recipient is unauthorised. If
immediately via +44(0)20 8943 7000 or notify postmaster using lgcgroup.com
and delete this message and any copies from your computer and network.
LGC Limited. Registered in England 2991879.
Registered office: Queens Road, Teddington, Middlesex, TW11 0LY, UK