[R] sd in aggregate and help.search/?? seem not to work as usual in latest version

Jim Lemon drj|m|emon @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Jul 1 23:59:18 CEST 2019

Hi Marvin,
One way to get around the problem with "sd" is to only process those
columns of a data frame for which the variance is defined. It is an
opportunity to show students how  to write wrapper functions as well:

sd_num<-function(x) return(ifelse(is.numeric(x),sd(x),NA))
df<-data.frame(group=rep(0:1,each=5),value=1:10,name=LETTERS[1:10])
aggregate(df[,2:3],by=df[1],FUN="sd_num")

Jim