[R] Error with install.packages using R v 3.5.1 and 3.5.2

Emily Wan ree@w @end|ng |rom ch@nn|ng@h@rv@rd@edu
Wed Jan 16 21:31:12 CET 2019

Henrik and Jeff -
Thank you both for your thoughts and helpful suggestions on this problem -
a colleague and I did some forensics on this end and discovered the issue
was related to a combination of 1) slow network connections and 2) having
my personal library installed on a different server from where R was
installed.  When we reassigned the libPath() to the "local drive" (same
virtual machine that R was installed on - after getting write permissions
for that drive), the issue was resolved.
Thank you both for your responses!

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 2:42 PM Henrik Bengtsson <henrik.bengtsson using gmail.com>
wrote:

> Immediately after you get that error:
>
> Error in if (any(diff)) { : missing value where TRUE/FALSE needed
>
> what does
>
> > traceback()
>
> output?  (I suspect this error occurs in tools:::checkMD5sums() used
> to assert that the package files are correctly downloaded).  Also,
> going forward, let's try with a single package installed, e.g.
> install.packages("glue").   Does that also give an error?
>
> /Henrik
>

> On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 11:10 AM Jeff Newmiller
> <jdnewmil using dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote:
> >
> > I don't know specifically where that error comes from... but I can think
> of two possible directions to go:
> >
> > 1) If you have ever run R as Administrator then you may need to delete
> your personal library (‘~/My Documents/R/win-library/3.5’) and reload all
> packages NOT using Run As Administrator. Any files created by R using those
> security credentials may impede the function of R when run without those
> credentials.
> >
> > 2) There have previously been reports that this error arises from the
> installed.packages function that is invoked by install.packages. This could
> be related to (1) above or be unrelated. You might confirm on this
> discussion thread whether this function runs okay for you.
> >
> > For future reference, use CRAN packages for examples on this mailing
> list to clarify that the problem is relevant here.
> >
> > On January 16, 2019 9:48:12 AM PST, Emily Wan <
> reesw using channing.harvard.edu> wrote:
> > >Hi Jeff -
> > >I do not think the issue is Bioconductor (which is why I had posted the
> > >inquiry on this forum - but as an aside, I do have the latest version
> > >of
> > >Bioconductor (3.8)).   As an example, when I attempt to use the generic
> > >install.packages() function, I receive the same error message. I have
> > >included an example below (along with the sessionInfo):

> > >Installing package into ‘~/My Documents/R/win-library/3.5’
> > >(as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
> > >--- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
> > >also installing the dependencies ‘glue’, ‘magrittr’
> > >trying URL '
> > >
> https://cran.revolutionanalytics.com/bin/windows/contrib/3.5/glue_1.3.0.zip
> '
> > >Content type 'application/zip' length 108591 bytes (106 KB)
> > >downloaded 106 KB
> > >trying URL '
> > >
> https://cran.revolutionanalytics.com/bin/windows/contrib/3.5/magrittr_1.5.zip
> > >'
> > >Content type 'application/zip' length 155452 bytes (151 KB)
> > >downloaded 151 KB
> > >trying URL '
> > >
> https://cran.revolutionanalytics.com/bin/windows/contrib/3.5/stringr_1.3.1.zip
> > >'
> > >Content type 'application/zip' length 194247 bytes (189 KB)
> > >downloaded 189 KB
> > >Error in if (any(diff)) { : missing value where TRUE/FALSE needed
> [...]

The information in this e-mail is intended only for the ...{{dropped:18}}