[R] Diff'ing 2 strings

Bert Gunter bgunter@4567 @ending from gm@il@com
Sat Jan 5 16:19:42 CET 2019

I do not know what you mean in your string context, as diff in Linux finds
lines in files that differ. A reproducible example -- posting guide! --
would be most useful here.

However, maybe something of the following strategy might be useful:

1. Break up your strings into lists of string "chunks" relevant for your
context via strspit() . Using "" (empty character) as the "sep" string
would break your strings into individual characters; "\n" would break it
into "lines" separated by the return
character; etc.

2. Compare your lists using e.g. lapply() and probably ?match and friends
like ?setdiff

You should also probably check out the stringr package to see if it
contains what you need. Also, if this is gene sequence related, posting on
the Bioconductor list rather than here is likely to be more fruitful.

Cheers,
Bert

Bert Gunter

sticking things into it."