[R] g++ error causes non-zero exit status for package installation

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd @ending from debi@n@org
Sat Jan 5 15:10:39 CET 2019

On 4 January 2019 at 23:23, Winfried Moser wrote:
| dear community,
|
| i get a *non-zero exit status* installing the survey-package in R version
| 3.5.2 on ubuntu 18.04. the problem seems to be related to *g++* and/or the
| package *minqa*. in the output of the installation procedure i found the
| following g++ related lines:
|
| g++ -I"/usr/share/R/include" -DNDEBUG -I"/home/winfried/rlibs/Rcpp/include"
| -f
| [...]
| g++ -shared -L/usr/lib/R/lib -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro -o
| minqa.so altm
| [...]
| g++: error: R: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
| g++: error: version: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
| g++: error: 3.5.2: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
| g++: error: (2018-12-20): Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
|
| can someone help or point me in a direction? several packages, that i use
| frequently, are conserned (survey, lme4, effects)

Wrong mailing list. Please subscribe to r-sig-debian and post there.

Someone posted a similar looking error recently (in a GitHub issue I can't
find now) but we did not solve it.  Somehow the call goes funky meaning that
the values in /etc/R/Makeconf got altted or affected or corrupted. No idea
why -- thousands of people use R on Ubuntu daily, myself included.

The good new is that you can (and maybe should !) consider prebuilt
binaries. These packages are all in Ubuntu as r-cran-survey, r-cran-lme4,
r-cran-effects -- and the Rutter PPAs give you even newer version. Read the
first four paragraphs, and particularly the fourth, of

   https://cloud.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/README.html

and enjoy the availability of 4000+ r-cran-* binary packages.

I am still interested in understanding the bug report but please bring it to
r-sig-debian.

Dirk