[R] Learning to Write R Packages (Libraries) with Documentation

Sun Feb 17 21:09:36 CET 2019

Wow. Did you consider reading the Posting Guide, which indicates that this is not the right list for these questions? Please follow up in the right mailing list, but maybe this will get you started.

Your missive is full of value judgements... I can only suppose that is what you get for believing every random post you see on the Internet.

My first suggestion is to remember that there are many perspectives on what is the "right" way to construct packages, but like it or not they all have to lead to a result that conforms to the Writing R Extensions (WRE) document maintained by R Core... stop asking what that means and read that first. Yes it is long, but it IS the reference.

That said, you may find that using roxygen  can reduce some busywork (some hold the opinion that the more traditional approach leads to more useful documentation).  If the CONTRIBUTED PACKAGE roxygen changes how it works over time... well, read its documentation, and keep in mind that whatever is does is only window dressing intended to generate valid files for R to work with according to WRE. Stop depending on blog posts... when they help, great... but when they don't, go to the official documentation.

Finally, Rmd is usable for vignettes, but not any other help files. Rd has its own syntax that is not latex and not Rmd, because it is translated to various other formats as needed in a more comprehensive way than Rmd files are handled.

As for examples... there are thousands, and "good" is much too subjective to sort by. If you want examples of using roxygen, look for the dependency in CRAN.