[R] I'm Working On A Data Security Article - Quick Question

Spencer Graves @pencer@gr@ve@ @end|ng |rom e||ect|vede|en@e@org
Mon Feb 11 11:36:56 CET 2019

       To your question about, "are you ok with me possibly linking to"
a 2008 thread on r-help subject: "[R] R is a virus, spyware or malware
(gasp!)", I think that would be considered a friendly gesture PROVIDED
you honestly portrayed the conclusion that any checker for malicious
software that flags R or RGUI (or RStudio, now, also), is likely wrong:
This is free, open-source software with probably millions of users
worldwide and currently almost 14,000 contributed packages available on
the Comprehensive R Archive Network (CRAN), and all the code is checked
on multiple platforms several times per week, including for malicious
code.  Any such code is isolated and removed.  "CRAN Repository
Policy"[1] includes, "The code and examples provided in a package should
never do anything which might be regarded as malicious or anti-social",
and provides several "examples from past experience."

       Hope this helps.
       Spencer Graves

[1] https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/policies.html