[R] data.frame() versus as.data.frame() applied to a matrix.

Rolf Turner r@turner @end|ng |rom @uck|@nd@@c@nz
Wed Feb 6 00:52:46 CET 2019

On 2/6/19 12:27 PM, Jeff Newmiller wrote:

> I have no idea about "why it is this way" but there are many cases
> where I would rather have to use backticks around
> syntactically-invalid names than deal with arbitrary rules for
> mapping column names as they were supplied to column names as R wants
> them to be. From that perspective, making the conversion function
> leave the names alone and limit the name-mashing to one function
> sounds great to me. You can always call make.names yourself.

Fair enough.  My real problem was getting ambushed by the fact that
*different* names arise depending on whether one uses data.frame(X)
or as.data.frame(X).  I'll spare you the details. :-)

cheers,

Rolf