[R] Errors in R package installation

David Stevens d@v|d@@teven@ @end|ng |rom u@u@edu
Thu Dec 12 17:07:49 CET 2019

Thanks Eric - I had tried this and failed with

install.packages('callr',destdir='c:/myRLib')
Installing package into ‘C:/myRLib’
(as ‘lib’ is unspecified)

  There is a binary version available but the source version is
  later:
      binary source needs_compilation
callr  3.3.2  3.4.0             FALSE

installing the source package ‘callr’

trying URL 'https://cloud.r-project.org/src/contrib/callr_3.4.0.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 100129 bytes (97 KB)
downloaded 97 KB

* installing *source* package 'callr' ...
** package 'callr' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
** using staged installation
** R
** inst
** byte-compile and prepare package for lazy loading
Fatal error: cannot open file 'C:\Users\David': No such file or directory

ERROR: lazy loading failed for package 'callr'
* removing 'C:/myRLib/callr'
Warning in install.packages :
  installation of package ‘callr’ had non-zero exit status

I also tried

install.packages('callr',lib='c:/myRLib',destdir='c:/myRLib')

with the same result. There's something more here that I'm unable to discover.

Best
David