[R] how to deal with deprecated functions

Nestor Toledo nto|edo@b|o| @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Dec 4 20:07:36 CET 2019

Hello everyone, even I'm not fluent in coding, R has become a
fundamental part of my daily work as a researcher and I'm very much
grateful for such a wonderful, open tool. However, I have faced in many
opportunities the problems associated with updates/upgrades of packages.
Frequently packages developers modify command syntax or directly
deprecate entire functions. This becomes a nuisance, since I must to
recode my scripts partially or totally, or even search for alternative
functions in other packages. Is there any solution to this, other than
skip updates or keeping old versions installed in a different folder?
Could be acceptable ask developers to do not deprecate functions but
keep them as "legacy" ones or similar?

Thanks in advance and I apologize for my deficient English grammar

--
Dr. Néstor Toledo
División Paleontología Vertebrados