[R] Confidence Intervals with mlp forecasts

Nikolaos Kourentzes n|ko|@o@ @end|ng |rom kourentze@@com
Tue Aug 27 16:37:41 CEST 2019

Hi Paul,
Currently it does not provide prediction intervals, as it is not assuming a generative model or a particular error distribution.
I think the best way forward, with nnfor, is to construct empirical ones.
Have a look at this paper for some relatively straightforward approaches that work quite well under a variety of conditions.
The paper looks at safety stocks, but the same approach can be used for generating prediction intervals.https://kourentzes.com/forecasting/2018/06/20/empirical-safety-stock-estimation-based-on-kernel-and-garch-models/
Best,Nikos

Professor, Dept. Management Science

Lancaster University Management School, UK

Centre for Marketing Analytics & Forecasting

blog: http://nikolaos.kourentzes.com

twitter: @nkourentz

Book: Ord, Fildes & Kourentzes (2017) Principles of Business Forecasting (2nd ed.), Wessex.