[R] Cannot load vegan and vcd, "object vI not found"

Tue Aug 20 12:31:23 CEST 2019

    > Try closing all instances of R except for one and then run the update.packages() function. If that doesn't work then post the output of sessionInfo().

I also strongly suspect that some of the packages concerned were
not correctly installed.

    > On August 19, 2019 5:11:11 AM PDT, Camilo Bernardo Garcia Ramirez <cbgarciar using unal.edu.co> wrote:
    >> Hi: Could you help me with the following issue?:
    >>
    >> I downloaded the packages vegan and vcd with R3.6.1. When I try to load
    >> them I got this error messages:
    >>
    >> > library(vegan)
    >> Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘vegan’ in loadNamespace(j
    >> <-
    >> i[[1L]], c(lib.loc, .libPaths()), versionCheck = vI[[j]]):
    >> objeto 'vI' no encontrado (translation: object vI not found - my R is
    >> in
    >> Spanish)

The error message above comes from base R's function
loadNamespace()  [which calls itself recursively, when importing
from other packages].

I think the error message is not really useful, and indeed I think
should *not* happen at this time:  'vI' is not defined here,
because earlier the 'pkgInfo' result was not really valid.

So I think you may have touched on a "buglet" in R in the sense
that for such semi-validly / invalidly installed packages, you
should get a better error message.

Martin Maechler
ETH Zurich  and  R Core team.