[R] gmp coredump - where to report?

Abby Spurdle @purd|e@@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sat Aug 17 01:34:31 CEST 2019

(excerpts only)
> I has trying to convert some raw values into a big number with the
> library gmp.
> However the library makes R crash. Two questions:
> 1. Should I report the problem and if yes, where can I report the problem?
> 2. Is the source code for the R version of GMP somewhere on eg. github, so
> I can
> post an issue?

> > library(gmp)
> > as.bigz(charToRaw("a"))

>  *** caught segfault ***
> address 0x560e78e1dd4c, cause 'memory not mapped'

(1)
No, you should not.
According to the gmp package documentation for the function as.bigz():
"either integer, numeric (i.e., double) or character vector"

So, your *input is unsuitable*.

In principle, it should give a better error message.
However, the version number is < 1.
So, I would wait for the authors to finish the package.
However, it's possible they will read your post.

(2)
It's not an R version of GMP, as such.
It's an R library, with the same name, which calls the C library.
The source code is on CRAN, as per usual.