[R] Trying to understand how to sort a DF on two columns

Sorkin, John j@ork|n @end|ng |rom @om@um@ry|@nd@edu
Tue Aug 13 04:44:29 CEST 2019

Bert,

Thank you for your reply (and the many other questions to the list that you answer).

I understand how order works when ordering based on a single column. What I don’t understand is how the code I included with my email works. I believe my problem is a lack of understanding of what with does. I have read about the with function, but I must be missing something.

Thank you,
John

From: Bert Gunter <bgunter.4567 using gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, August 12, 2019 10:36 PM
To: Sorkin, John <jsorkin using som.umaryland.edu>
Cc: r-help using r-project.org (r-help using r-project.org) <r-help using r-project.org>
Subject: Re: [R] Trying to understand how to sort a DF on two columns

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2315601/understanding-the-order-function

Do a web search on "How does order() work R" or similar for more.

I can't explain with() any better than the docs: saying that it evaluates the expression argument in the data argument environment -- a data frame for the data frame method -- probably won't help you.

-- Bert

Bert Gunter

"The trouble with having an open mind is that people keep coming along and sticking things into it."