[R] Help with saving model created using caret's train function into a readable format

Kevin Cai c@|kev|n555 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Aug 7 18:57:09 CEST 2019

Hello all,

I am trying to port some R code over to Python for someone else. In
particular, I want to save a model/object created using the train function
from the caret package:

model <- train(
    x, y,
    trControl = trcontrol_1,
    tuneGrid = xgbGrid_1,
    method = "xgbTree"
)

'model' is later used as input for the predict function on some test data.
I've tried doing save(model, ascii=TRUE, file="model_ascii_dump") so far,
but the output isn't really readable/understandable.

Is there any way to save 'model' into a readable format or some format that
can be used to make predictions in Python?

Sorry if I'm not explaining myself well or if the question is too vague;
this is my first time dealing with R.