[R] Loop Repetition

Bob O'Hara rn|@boh @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Aug 6 11:45:47 CEST 2019

For a start, try this:

for(i in 1:5) {
  x <- runif(4,0,1)
}

Which will do what you want, but will over-write x each time (so isn't
very good). Better (if you want to use the random numbers outside the
loop) is this:

x <- matrix(NA, nrow=5, ncol=4)
for(i in 1:5) {
  x[i,] <- runif(4,0,1)
}

But better than this is not to use a loop at all, but to use R's vectorisation:

x <- matrix(runif(20,0,1), nrow=5, ncol=4)

i.e. generate a vector of random numbers (the runif()), and then put
that into a matrix (the matrix()).

Oh, and you could also do this:
replicate(5, runif(4, 0,1))
which is slightly odd here, but if you want to use the random numbers
to do something, you can do all of it in a function, e.g.

CalcMean <- function(n=4) {
  x <- runif(n, 0, 1)
  mean(x)
}
replicate(5, CalcMean(n=4))

Using a function makes code writing a lot easier, as you can write and
debug the function on its own, and then use replicate() to run the
loop (there are also functions like vapply() and apply() if you need
to pass different arguments into the function for different
iterations).

Bob