[R] Bug in R 3.6.0?

Morgan Morgan morg@n@em@||box @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Apr 29 22:42:36 CEST 2019

Hi,

I am using the R 3.6.0 on windows. The issue that I report below does not
exist with previous version of R.
In order to reproduce the error you must install a package of your choice
from source (tar.gz).

-Create a .Rprofile file with the following command in it : setwd("D:/")
-Close your R session and re-open it. Your working directory must be now set
to D:
-Install a package of your choice from source, example :
install.packages("data.table",type="source")

In my case the package fail to install and I get the following error
message:

** R
** inst
** byte-compile and prepare package for lazy loading
Error in tools:::.read_description(file) :
  file 'DESCRIPTION' does not exist
Calls: suppressPackageStartupMessages ... withCallingHandlers ->
.getRequiredPackages -> <Anonymous> -> <Anonymous>
Execution halted
ERROR: lazy loading failed for package 'data.table'
* removing 'C:/Users/Morgan/Documents/R/win-library/3.6/data.table'
* restoring previous
'C:/Users/Morgan/Documents/R/win-library/3.6/data.table'
Warning in install.packages :
  installation of package ‘data.table’ had non-zero exit status

Now remove the .Rprofile file, restart your R session and try to install the
package with the same command.
In that case everything should be installed just fine.

FYI the issue happens on macOS as well and I suspect it also does on all
linux systems.

My question: Is this expected or is it a bug?

Thank you
Best regards,
Morgan