[R] Limiting the scope of RNGkind/set.seed

Elizabeth Purdom epurdom @end|ng |rom @t@t@berke|ey@edu
Tue Apr 16 18:45:45 CEST 2019

Hi Bert,
Thanks for your response. What you suggest is more or less the fix I suggested in my email (my second version of .rcolors). I writing more because I was wondering if there was a better way to work with RNG that would avoid doing that. It doesn’t feel very friendly for my package to be making changes to the user’s global environment, even though I am setting them back (and if it weren’t for the fact that setting the new R 3.6 argument `sample.kind=“Rounding”` creates a warning, I wouldn’t have even realized I was affecting the user’s settings, so it seems potentially hazardous that packages could be changing users settings without them being aware of it). So I was wondering if there was a way to more fully isolate the command.
Thanks,
Elizabeth