[R] Smallest Space Analysis (SSA) in R

Michael Friendly |r|end|y @end|ng |rom yorku@c@
Fri Sep 21 15:07:35 CEST 2018

Smallest space analysis (SSA) is just the name given to software
developed by Guttman & Lingoes around the time the various versions
of multidimensional scaling were being developed.  Call it Israeli MDS
or Falafel MDS if you prefer. The reason you encountered it in your
course is presumably that the instructor was trained in that.

There are several variants of MDS-like algorithms for embedding
points representing objects in a space, using data representing
similarities or distances among objects -- metric (cmdscale)
and non-metric (MASS::isoMDS), using only rank order information, and a
variety of
measures of goodness-of-fit ("stress").  I don't recall the details
of the SSA programs, but that should matter little conceptually.

The smacof package offers the widest array of possibilities.

-Michael