[R] Packaged exe and Shiny

Tue Sep 11 00:58:47 CEST 2018

IMO the best short answer is don't target making an install package or msi at all... the obstacles are quite significant. Aim for building most of your capabilities in packages and having people install them. You can setup an in-house package repo to simplify this and give them a startup script that configures their R environment.

There is also the option to use R-Portable [1] but this leads to massive deployment files that don't upgrade easily.

I also think that when the time crunch happens many people will go to the internet and copy-paste solutions that you would be unlikely to have anticipated. Closing off that scary console completely will keep you in the hot seat indefinitely, whereas giving them the option to go around your UI lets more resources be allocated later.

[1] https://www.r-bloggers.com/deploying-desktop-apps-with-r/amp/