[R] Help with r script

Wed Sep 5 07:36:15 CEST 2018

On Tue, 4 Sep 2018, Nathan D Jennings wrote:

> ?To the R Project:

This is the R-help mailing list, populated by various people who use R
including the occasional R-core developer.

> I am using R Studio and I need help sum product exponents with R Script.

a) This is the R-help mailing list, not the RStudio-help mailing list.
RStudio is only one of numerous user interfaces that can be used to
interact with R. This mailing list is about the language, not the user
interface. They do have a forum [1].

>  Every time I type at the very start in the R Script window like 25* 30
> nothing happens.

b) I think the window you are describing as the "R Script" window is
actually a text editor window. All interaction with R occurs in the R
Console, and the text editor window is a place to keep organized in a file
the commands you write that seem to do what you want when executed in the
Console. Usually you will need a number of commands executed in sequence
to accomplish whatever analysis goal you have, so a text file is a good
place to keep those commands organized. You can position the cursor on an
R command in the editor and hold down the control key and press Enter, and
RStudio will type it into the console window for you. Once you are
confident those commands work you can use the source() function to have R
execute the entire file of commands at once. You would look for the
response/result/output in the Console and/or the Plot windows depending
which commands you used.

>  Where can I go to find the complete commands for basic functions in the
> r script window?

c) I don't think that there is any comprehensive list of commands you can
give to R. There are many introductory R books, and there is an
Introduction to R document provided with R [2]. You might find the
cheatsheets listed under the Help/Cheatsheets menu in RStudio helpful to
give you some clues. If you want a thorough discussion of the structure of
the R language you can refer to the R Language Definition [3], but that is
really rather dense going if you are just starting out... an introductory
book or the r-intro document would probably be most useful to you at this
point.

Finally, per the Posting Guide mentioned below this mailing list is not
appropriate for students doing homework... from your email address I think
you should have local resources who can boost you up the learning curve
much more efficiently than we can through a plain text mailing list (or
even the RStudio forum). In this mailing list, you need to understand
enough R to be able to post R code that illustrates what isn't working for
you, along with a clear specification of what you wanted to get.

[1] https://community.rstudio.com/
[2] https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-release/R-intro.pdf
[3] https://cran.r-project.org/manuals.html

DCN:<jdnewmil using dcn.davis.ca.us>        Basics: ##.#.       ##.#.  Live Go...
                                       Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing