[R] real time monitoring of streaming audio with R?

Spencer Graves @pencer@gr@ve@ @ending from effectivedefen@e@org
Mon Sep 10 10:09:22 CEST 2018

Hello, All:

       Is it feasible to do real time monitoring of streaming audio with
R, writing a compressed copy of what's read to 1-hour long MP3 files?

       I'm a volunteer with a community radio station (kkfi.org).  My
minimum requirements at the moment are to create MP3 files from what we
broadcast.  I have a tuner hooked to the audio input of a computer.  I
can listen to it in real time using the computer audio output jack, and
I can record it manually using Audacity.  If I have MP3 versions of both
what we send to the tower and what is actually broadcasted, I can read
the two into R, compare them, identify substantive differences, write
appropriate descriptions to files, send emails, etc.  I don't know how
to sample the live stream.

        I know it can be done in Python, but I don't know how, and I'd
prefer to use R.  I suspect it can be done with ffplay, part of ffmpeg,
but again I don't know how.

       Thanks,
       Spencer Graves