[R] RMarkdown vignettes v. Jupyter notebooks?

Ista Zahn |@t@z@hn @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Oct 11 16:11:44 CEST 2018

On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 10:03 AM Jeff Newmiller
<jdnewmil using dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote:

> Ista, you do not seem to be aware of the
> .nb.html format, which is way easier to share with a non-uswr than an ipynb file yet allows the same in-progress kinds of results to be shared and the source can be extracted easily using a web browser (no server needed).

Yes, I am aware that notebooks can be exported / converted to other
formats, including .html and .pdf. My point is about emphasis:
Rmarkdown gives you header arguments and other tools that allow you a
great deal of control over how the final .html or .pdf file looks. The
system seems designed to produce .html or .pdf as the final output
format. Jupyter notebooks on the other hand seem primarily designed to
be viewed as Jupyter notebooks: they don't give you a log of tools for
controlling how the converted / exported notebook appears. That's not
so say there is not conversion / export possible of course...

--Ista