[R] Genuine relative paths with R

Thu Oct 11 00:07:29 CEST 2018

On 10/10/2018 5:45 PM, Olivier GIVAUDAN wrote:
> I'm not sure I'm "inventing my own way" of distributing R code... And I
> distribute it to a very limited audience.

Nothing says a package has to go on CRAN.  You can distribute them
privately to a small audience.

> Anyway, why not "inventing a new way" if it's more efficient than the
> standard one (I'm talking now in theory)?

If you know as much about R as the people who wrote it, then you can
almost certainly invent better ways to do many of the things it does.  R
Core was constrained by trying to maintain back compatibility, and that
means some of their solutions aren't perfect.

But if you don't know it that well, chances are you'll make mistakes
when you invent your own way of doing it.  For example, you might think
that all front ends set the working directory to the directory of the
program they are running, because the ones you've tried do it that way.
But they don't.

Duncan Murdoch