[R] Genuine relative paths with R

MacQueen, Don m@cqueen1 @end|ng |rom ||n|@gov
Mon Oct 8 18:04:47 CEST 2018

A few facts (and some opinions):

First fact:

  R understands relative paths (as do the other languages you mentioned) (you have misunderstood R if you think it doesn't)

Second fact:

  R interprets relative paths as being relative to its current working directory

Third fact:

  To find out R's current working directory type:   getwd() at the R prompt

Fourth fact:

   There are various ways to set R's working directory, depending on how you are running R. Once R is running, you can if necessary use setwd() at the R prompt, and this is platform-independent (but it should rarely be necessary).

The easiest way to set the working directory, in my opinion, is by starting R from a linux or Mac command shell (bash, tcsh, etc) environment. You start R by typing "R" at the shell prompt and R's working directory is inherited from the current working directory of the shell.

If you are using a GUI (i.e., you started R by double-clicking on some icon), look for menu commands to set the working directory. Check the documentation for the GUI to find out other ways to set the working directory for that GUI.

No additional packages are necessary in order to manage R's working directory simply and effectively.

Yes, you can move all the scripts related to some project as a whole to some other location and have them run seamlessly using relative paths. Hopefully it is clear by now that all that is needed is to set R's working directory to the project's main directory.

-Don

--
Don MacQueen
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory