[R] High dimensional optimization in R

Ruben ruben @ending from kfupm@edu@@@
Wed Nov 28 09:29:31 CET 2018

Hi,

Sarah Goslee (jn reply to  Basic optimization question (I'm a rookie)):
"R is quite good at optimization."

I wonder what is the experience of the R user community with high
dimensional problems, various objective functions and various numerical
methods in R.

In my experience with my package CatDyn (which depends on optimx), I
have fitted nonlinear models with nearly 50 free parameters using
normal, lognormal, gamma, Poisson and negative binomial exact
loglikelihoods, and adjusted profile normal and adjusted profile
lognormal approximate loglikelihoods.

Most numerical methods crash, but CG and spg often, and BFGS, bobyqa,
newuoa and Nelder-Mead sometimes, do yield good results (all numerical
gradients less than 1)  after 1 day or more running in a normal 64 bit
PC with Ubuntu 16.04 or Windows 7.

Ruben

--

Ruben H. Roa-Ureta, Ph. D.
Consultant, ORCID ID 0000-0002-9620-5224