[R] Request for aid in first R script

S Ellison S@Elli@on @ending from LGCGroup@com
Mon Nov 19 12:46:00 CET 2018

Pointers inline below:

> > Since I'm a newbie on R, I was wondering if you could help me to achieve a
> > small project that I think it's possible with this project (I cant seem to
> > find a similar tool)
> >
> > I have a data file with about 2000 value lines, organized like this:
> >
> > x;y;z;j;
> >
> > I want to find diferent correlations (linear regression with
> > Levenberg–Marquardt or least squares) between the x values and a y or z
> > pair. For instance, between x and y.
> >
> > So, what I'm trying to do is:
> >
> > 1) Load the file (is there a limit on the load size? If yes, can I load it
> > in sequence by parts?)
See ?read.table and note that you can define a separator. Using read.table() with sep=";" should work
Load limits are memory size; I have read 800,000 lines on a 4Gb system

> > 2) Define 100 sets of 20 values each (also sequence, from x1 to xn: first
> > from x1 to x20, next from x21 to x41, etc.) or process one set at the time
> > in case of file limits in 1)
You can say something like
mydata[i:(i+20), ]
to get row-wise slices of your data, but an R user would perhaps consider setting up an ancillary variable using
mydata$chunks <- gl(100,20)
and use a variant of aggregate() or ddply to apply a function to each subset

> > 3) Define a fitting function
er... anything you can write, either as an expression or a function.

> > 4) Use the same function model to find the best fit for each set
Look at, for example, lm for linear models (including polynomials), nls or nlm for non-linear models, and a decent book on R for a much, much, much wider range, including splines, generalised additive models, generalised linear models, mixed effects models (linear and otherwise) ...

> > 5) Save in a file, the coefficients of those fits.
Something like sapply or ddply should be able to give you a table of coefficients, especially if you write a wrapper function like
mywrap <- function(x) coef( nls(y~fitfun))
to return a vector of coefficients from a chunk x

> > Can this be done accurately with R?
Yes; R has well-characterised numerically stable core functions, which is more than can be said for most spreadsheets.

> > It would save me a lot of programming.
You'll still have to do that, but doing it in R will be a lot faster than C

> > The files will soon have about 1
> > million lines, which is a lot to process.
If you can’t load it all at once, you can use read.table with start and end rows.
or you can puch the whole lot to a database and use any of R's database packages to read from that; Rmysql and the like.

This email and any attachments are confidential. Any use, copying or
disclosure other than by the intended recipient is unauthorised. If
immediately via +44(0)20 8943 7000 or notify postmaster using lgcgroup.com
and delete this message and any copies from your computer and network.
LGC Limited. Registered in England 2991879.
Registered office: Queens Road, Teddington, Middlesex, TW11 0LY, UK