[R] R command prompt newline treatment

Mon Nov 5 23:44:08 CET 2018

I am pretty sure this is not an R issue (so it is off-topic here)... it sounds like the kind of misconfiguration that was common back when there were dozens of competing terminal manufacturers and the solution was to configure your Linux TERM variable and/or terminfo database to match up with your terminal emulator program (e.g. [1]). With modem autocofiguration on the OS side it may be as simple as changing your terminal emulator settings and logging in again... or not.

[1] https://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Text-Terminal-HOWTO-7.html