[R] Plot a path

Thu Nov 1 11:27:16 CET 2018

Hello,

The following uses ggplot2.

First, make up a dataset, since you have not posted one.

lat0 <- 38.736946
lon0 <- -9.142685
n <- 10

set.seed(1)
Date <- seq(Sys.Date() - n + 1, Sys.Date(), by = "days")
Lat <- lat0 + cumsum(c(0, runif(n - 1)))
Lon <- lon0 + cumsum(c(0, runif(n - 1)))
Placename <- rep(c("A", "B"), n/2)

path <- data.frame(Date, Placename, Lat, Lon)
path <- path[order(path$Date), ]

Now, two graphs, one with just one line of all the lon/lat and the other
with a line for each Placename.

library(ggplot2)

ggplot(path, aes(x = Lon, y = Lat)) +
   geom_point() +
   geom_line()

ggplot(path, aes(x = Lon, y = Lat, colour = Placename)) +
   geom_point(aes(fill = Placename)) +
   geom_line()

Hope this helps,

Rui Barradas