[R] Using tryCatch in a for loop

Bailey Hewitt b@||@ter @end|ng |rom hotm@||@com
Tue May 22 21:49:55 CEST 2018

Hi Dan,

Thank you for trying this out! I have been able to use the segmented.lm code outside of the loop effectively. When it gave you the first warning: No breakpoint estimated, that is what I would expect it to do, and since  there is no breakpoint there aren't any variables in seg.reg. What I would like to have happen is that when I get this warning, I want it to be caught by tryCatch and write "warning" in the matrix, and the loop should continue on. Is there a way to manipulate the code for this or something similar to happen?

Bert, you are right! My apologies, I did mean to reply all!

Thanks!

Bailey

From: Daniel Nordlund <djnordlund using gmail.com>
Sent: May 22, 2018 3:06 PM
To: Bailey Hewitt; Bert Gunter
Cc: r-help using R-project.org
Subject: Re: [R] Using tryCatch in a for loop

On 5/22/2018 11:32 AM, Bailey Hewitt wrote:
> Hi Bert,
>
> Thank you for the quick response!
>
> In its current state the code prints three lines that say "warning". What I was expecting is that I would get a matrix with 4 columns, 1. column names (from the original data, ex. Lake1) 2. breakpoint year 3. slope 4. slope difference from the first to the second  segment of the segmented regression. Each row in the matrix would be the results of the segmented regression test for each lake in the original data frame, so Lake1 results would be in row 2 (row 1 would be titles) and so on. If any of this is confusing please  let me know and I will clarify!
>
> Thanks!
>
> Bailey

My suggestion is that you get your code to work on a single iteration
before running in a loop and wrapping the code in tryCatch

I ran your "set-up" code (before the loop).  then extracted your code
from the loop, set i <- 1, and then ran the code.  Here is what I got:

 > i <- 1
 >     y.val <- y[,i]
 >     lin.reg <- lm(y.val~year, mydata)
 >     seg.reg <- segmented.lm(lin.reg, seg.Z = ~ year, psi = NA,
control = seg.control(stop.if.error = FALSE, n.boot = 0, it.max = 20))
Warning message:
No breakpoint estimated
 >     RSyear <- summary(seg.reg)$psi [1,2]
 >     SlopeRegime1 <- summary(seg.reg)$coefficients[2,1]
 >     SlopeDiff <- summary(seg.reg)$coefficients[3,1]
Error in summary(seg.reg)$coefficients[3, 1] : subscript out of bounds
 >     new.regimeshift <- data.frame(RSyear=RSyear,
SlopeRegime1=SlopeRegime1, SlopeDiff=SlopeDiff)
Error in data.frame(RSyear = RSyear, SlopeRegime1 = SlopeRegime1,
SlopeDiff = SlopeDiff) :
   object 'SlopeDiff' not found
 >     rownames(new.regimeshift) <- colnames(y)[i]
Error in rownames(new.regimeshift) <- colnames(y)[i] :
   object 'new.regimeshift' not found
 >     regimeshift <- rbind(regimeshift,new.regimeshift)
Error in rbind(regimeshift, new.regimeshift) :
   object 'new.regimeshift' not found
 >     print(regimeshift)

the immediate problems that show up are
1.  there is no variable psi the summary(seg.reg) object (RSyear is NULL).
2.  the coefficients[] matrix in the summary(seg.reg) object does not
have 3 rows, so you get an error and SlopeDiff is not created.

You need to correct these problems, and any others, so that your code
runs correctly when there are no data problems.  Then you can worry
about trapping errors in the case where there are data problems.

Hope this is helpful,

Dan

--
Daniel Nordlund