[R] find the permutation function of a sorting

Rui Barradas ruipb@rr@d@@ @ending from @@po@pt
Wed May 23 08:18:50 CEST 2018

Hello,

Like David said, what you are trying to do with sort() can be done with
order() in a much easier way.

First, your code

x <- sort(c("bc","ac","dd"), index.return=TRUE)

Now, with function order()

i <- order(c("bc", "ac", "dd"))

y <- c("D","E", "F")[i]
#[1] "E" "D" "F"

# This will give you the inverse,
# just apply order() to the output of order(),
# function order() is its own inverse

y[ order(i) ]

Finally, compare the results and see that they are exactly the same.

identical(x$ix, i)
#[1] TRUE

Hope this helps,

Rui Barradas