[R] Discovering patterns in textual strings

Bert Gunter bgunter@4567 @ending from gm@il@com
Sat May 5 22:59:02 CEST 2018

Jeff:

The previous solution I sent you was hugely inefficient and frankly kind of
stupid. Here is a much better and simpler solution.

> z <- c("abc",
       "abc_def",
       "abc.def",
       "abc def",
       "abcd_ef",
       "abcd",
       "e","f")

## Create vector of patterns of same length as z, many of which are repeated
> pats <- sub("^(.+)[. _].*","\\1",z)

## Now can use tapply() to get indices if desired
## Note that the patterns label the groups

> tapply(seq_along(z),pats,I)
$abc
[1] 1 2 3 4

$abcd