[R] Variable centring within "predict.coxph"

Eric Berger ericjberger at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 19:19:28 CET 2018

Hi Laura,
I will state up front that I have no experience or knowledge of the Cox
model or the survival package.
Out of curiosity I loaded the package and did ?coxph and found the
following comment in the documentation:

"The routine internally scales and centers data to avoid overflow in the
argument to the exponential function. These actions do not change the
result, but lead to more numerical stability."

This would seem to imply that for "good" cases, i.e. those which are
numerically stable, the two approaches (centered or not-centered) should
give the same results. Maybe you can find a test data set that is a "good"
case and compare the Stata and R results for that data to gain confidence
that you are calling the package correctly.

HTH,
Eric