[R] Repeated use of dyn.load().

Rui Barradas ruipbarradas at sapo.pt
Thu Mar 1 21:35:44 CET 2018

Hello,

Inline.

On 3/1/2018 6:44 PM, Eric Berger wrote:
> Good question Rolf.
> Rui, thanks for pointing out dyn.unload.
> When I started using Rcpp a couple of years ago I got burned by stale
> .so enough times that I adopted a policy of recompile-then-start new R
> session.
> My workflow does not include Rolf's "brazillion" repeats, so the
> overhead of this approach has not been too painful.
> The documentation for dyn.unload (via ?dyn.unload) includes the
> following statement:
>
> "The function dyn.unload unlinks the DLL. Note that unloading a DLL and
> then re-loading a DLL of the same name may or may not work: on Solaris
> it uses the first version loaded."

Yes, I had noticed that sentence. But I have never used Solaris, and in
Windows it works, to unload and then reload the dll loads the last one.

Also, in order to have code that works in other OS's I use two functions
that are independent of the shared library extension used by the OS,
'dll' or 'so'.

dynLoad <- function(dynlib){
     dynlib <- paste(dynlib, .Platform$dynlib.ext, sep = "")
     dyn.load(dynlib)
}

dynUnload <- function(dynlib){
     dynlib <- paste(dynlib, .Platform$dynlib.ext, sep = "")
     dyn.unload(dynlib)
}

These have saved me lots and lots of typing along the years. (Note that
they still call paste/sep = "")

Hope this helps,

Rui Barradas