[R] open help files from Terminal

David Winsemius dw|n@em|u@ @end|ng |rom comc@@t@net
Thu Jun 7 17:29:39 CEST 2018

> On Jun 7, 2018, at 8:21 AM, Dmitri Popavenko <dmitri.popavenko using gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear R users,
>
> I am sometimes using R from a Terminal (either from Linux but most often on
> MacOS).
> When looking at a help file using the question mark (e.g. ?sd) the help
> file opens in the Terminal itself.
>
> If possible, I would like to open the HTML version of the help file in a
> webpage, but I am completely unaware of how this might be done.

First I looked at:

?help

Seeing the help-type parameter included "html" as a potential value, I therefore tried this from a Terminal-launched session on a Mac (although normally I work in the R.app GUI):

help(sd, help_type="html")

I get the expected sd-help page displayed in my open Chrome browser.

> If anyone has a suggestion, I would be very grateful.
>
> Best,
> Dmitri
>
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

R is a plain text mailing list.