[R] ESS issue: lines moved right 40 spaces

Rich Shepard r@hep@rd @end|ng |rom @pp|-eco@y@@com
Fri Jul 27 16:12:34 CEST 2018

On Fri, 27 Jul 2018, Eric Berger wrote:

> I also use emacs with ESS for editing R files and I have been living with
> the comment indentation problem you described. Based on the comments in
> this thread I did a search and found a posted solution that works for me.
> See https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/ess-help/2016-May/010970.html

Eric,

   Thanks for sharing this with me. It works here, too.

   What I found strange about the ess comment behavior was having ###
default to the left margin and fewer # indenting increasing distances. That
seems backwards to me. It makes more sense to have # mean no indentation and
increase the spacing with increased #. But, that's just my opinion. :-)

   Oh, by the way, I was not able to resubscribe to the ess-help mail list so
I wrote to the webmaster. This is his response:

"I've found that after the installation of the captcha (which was an
important stop gap measure: We have seen really bad fraudulous subscriptions
!!), there had been some hickups.. and indeed the captcha-based subscription
had been failing for ESS-help probably for about one month.

"I have fixed this now, and tested that it now works (for me)."

Best regards,

Rich