[R] A couple of batch mode questions

Rich Shepard r@hep@rd @end|ng |rom @pp|-eco@y@@com
Wed Jul 25 20:34:31 CEST 2018

On Wed, 25 Jul 2018, MacQueen, Don wrote:

> From my perspective, which is a unix-alike perspective, Rscript makes R
> useable in exactly the same way as other unix style scripting languages
> such as perl, tcsh, bash, etc. This is useful, and a good thing. If I
> remember (and understood) correctly, it is why Rscript was introduced,
> later in R's history than BATCH.

Don,

   As a linux-only user for more than two decades I really appreciate the
value of running scripts from the command line. For a current project, after
extracting 29 years of data from PDF forms I ran them through a bash shell
script (passing the name of the source file as $1) that calls two sed and
six awk scripts. The output is ready to be read into R.

> If I want to pass custom parameters to the script (script-specific
> parameters of my own that I put on the command line), the syntax for
> either supplying them or parsing them might be different. I'm not sure,
> since I don't do this very often, and never use CMD BATCH. But it would be
> worth checking.

   This is what I need to work out now for Rscript: how to set positional or
named parameters on the command line with the source file name and the R
data.frame name.

   Thanks for your comments.

Best regards,

Rich