[R] Where does ' Setting LC_CTYPE failed, using "C" ' come from? 2

David Winsemius dw|n@em|u@ @end|ng |rom comc@@t@net
Tue Jul 17 18:18:17 CEST 2018

> On Jul 17, 2018, at 7:36 AM, Christian <christian using echoffmann.ch> wrote:
>
> Another try, I am sorry.
>
> On 17.07.18 14:46, Jeff Newmiller wrote:
>> I an sorry that I cannot answer your question, but you don't seem to be very effective in your use of this resource.
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am fighting to get rid of the messages like:
>>>
>>> During startup - Warning messages:
>>> Setting LC_CTYPE failed, using "C"
>>> Setting LC_COLLATE failed, using "C"
>>>
>>> This is annoying, because when building a package using R CMD, This
>>> message keeps cropping up.
>>>
>>> Here my R:
>>> Sys.getlocale()
>>> [1] "C"
>>>
>>> Executing
>>>
>>>     Open Terminal
>>>     Write or paste in: defaults write org.R-project.R force.LANG
>>> en_US.UTF-8
>>>     Close Terminal
>>>     Start R
>>>
>>> as suggested on
>
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/9689104/installing-r-on-mac-warning-messages-setting-lc-ctype-failed-using-c,
>
> did not help :-(

Sigh, claiming that something "did not help" usually ...does not help. You need a clear unambigous description of everything that was in place and exactly what was being done when the unexpected behavior occurred.

And you need to post that description in the right venue which you have already been advised is not rhelp. I see that you have (probably unsuccessfully) attempted cross-posting to the right venue, r-sig-mac. Cross-posting to multiple r lists is deprecated by the Posting Guide which you should now read.

Then you should subscribe to r-sig-mac using the web interface and only afterwards post to the correct venue: r-sig-mac using r-project.org. As always with first time posting you will see your first post held up in the queue for moderation, so don't send any additional queries until your post appears in that list's archive: https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mac/