[R] Portable R in zip file for Windows

John C Frain frainj at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 01:47:37 CET 2018

When you unzip that file you have a rstudio.exe file which you appear to be
able to run.  As far as I know rstudio will not run unless you have a
version of R already installed.  The R FAQ for windows explains how to
install R if you have restricted permissions and do not want or are not
allowed to make any changes to the registry.  Using the exe install file in
this way does the same things as the zip file does in rstudio.  For flash
drive or CD you can substitute any area on your hard disk to which you have
read/write/exeute access.  As a last resort you can install in the
directory that you installed rstudio.  To get everything working together
you will need to reset some environmental variables and /or shortcuts.  You
probably needed to do this already with rstudio.

I think that it is very possible that you do not need a zipped file for R,
The FAQ tells you how to make it relocatable. This is the answer to your
question as far as I can see.  If not, I and several others do not
understand it.

John C Frain
3 Aranleigh Park
Rathfarnham