[R] R minor version

Loris Bennett loris.bennett at fu-berlin.de
Fri Jan 12 13:49:17 CET 2018

Hi,

When I install a package as a non-root user, it gets saved in a path
such as

  ~/R/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-library/3.4

for any R version 3.4.x.  Thus, if I want to install the packages
somewhere else, as root say, I might do

  install.packages("somepackage","/some/where/else/R/site-library/3.4")

In this case I would then want to construct the appropriate path in,
say, /etc/Rprofile to allow the packages to be found.

However, using R.Version() gives me

  > R.Version()$minor
  [1] "4.3"

I can obviously extract the "real" minor version from the string, but
shouldn't there be a more straightforward way to obtain the part of the
version that is used in .libPaths() by default?

Or am I misunderstanding something?

Cheers,

Loris

--