[R] application of R

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 10:34:58 CET 2018

In the (approximate) words of Ross Ihaka: R could have been made commercial and then it might have had like 500 users instead of millions.

Programming language aside, there isn't really much of a market for new, closed source, statistical programs, at least not unless you get to a level of sophistication which is way beyond the capacity of any single person (e.g. in the field of maths software, Mathematica is not likely to be replaceable by a free alternative anytime soon, but that is huge!).

More likely, there is a market in consulting and in-house application development, both of which can quite conveniently be done with R. If you are good at it, that is.

-pd

--
Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Phone: (+45)38153501