[R] questions about performing Robust multiple regression using bootstrap

Fox, John jfox at mcmaster.ca
Mon Feb 26 16:47:23 CET 2018

Dear Faiz,

Bootstrapping R^2 using Boot() is straightforward: Simply write a function that returns R^2, possibly in a vector with the regression coefficients, and use it as the f argument to Boot(). That will get you, e.g., bootstrapped confidence intervals for R^2. (Why you want that is another question.) See the example in ?Boot that shows how to bootstrap the estimated error variance (without the regression coefficients).

On the other hand, bootstrap hypothesis tests aren't entirely straightforward (and you might ask yourself why you need them when you have bootstrap confidence intervals). If memory serves, there's a discussion in the Davison  and Hinkley reference in ?Boot (I don't have a copy of the book at my current location, so I can't check). There's also a brief discussion in Sec. 21.4 of my Applied Regression Analysis and Generalized Linear Models, 3rd ed.

I hope this helps,
 John

John Fox, Professor Emeritus
McMaster University