[R] JGR not installed. Attempting to install from CRAN...

Loris Bennett loris.bennett at fu-berlin.de
Tue Feb 20 12:52:14 CET 2018

Jenny Coetzee <coetzeeJ at phru.co.za> writes:

> thanks Loris
>
> you are bering so helpful!
>
> So, i have done what you explained, but the RDS package that runs
> “using or through” R is now just closing each time i open it. I have
> googled and seen that i need to to the following:
>
> Tips: The recent updates to the Apple Mac OS (Sierra and High Sierra)
> have reorganized the ways apps, like RDS Analyst, work. So sometimes
> RDS Analyst will not be configured correctly and will not start (e.g.,
> bouncing icon or no response to double clicking). Most of these relate
> to how Java works on the Mac. The first thing to try is to open the
> Terminal and type in : R CMD javareconf This asks R to check on the
> configuration of Java and try to get in sync with it.  off website:
> http://wiki.stat.ucla.edu/hpmrg/index.php/RDS_Analyst_Install
>
> BUT, when i do enter R CMD javareconf, i get the following error:
> Error: unexpected symbol in "R CMD”
>
> so what should i do now?

I'll have to guess now, because I don't know much about Macs or Java.  I
assume there is something wrong with your java installation.  You can
check by writing the following in a terminal:

  java -version

If the output of this isn't something sensible, then you probably need
to (re-)install Java.

Otherwise there is some information here (Point 3. "Configure Java for
R"):

  https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSPT3X_3.0.0/com.ibm.swg.im.infosphere.biginsights.install.doc/doc/install_install_r.html

If that doesn't help (and probably even if it does) you should consider
joining the RDS Users Group, if you haven't already:

  http://wiki.stat.ucla.edu/hpmrg/index.php/RDS_Analyst_Users_Group

Cheers,

Loris

--