[R] Different performance with different R versions

MacQueen, Don m@cqueen1 @ending from llnl@gov
Wed Dec 12 17:17:26 CET 2018

Probably more appropriate for R-SIG-Mac

--
Don MacQueen
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

On 12/11/18, 12:22 AM, "R-help on behalf of cowan robin" <r-help-bounces using r-project.org on behalf of r.cowan using maastrichtuniversity.nl> wrote:

    I am running a small simulation, and getting very different run times when I use different versions of R.
    Two set-ups using the same machine (MacBook Pro 2013 vintage)

    1. R version 3.1.3  running on system OS X 10.9.5

    > system.time(source("simulationR-R.R"))

      user  system elapsed
      3.890   0.061   3.965

    Compared to

    2. R version 3.5.1  running on system OS X 10.12.6

    > system.time(source("simulationR-R.R"))

      user  system elapsed
    277.924   2.087 280.841

    The source code is identical. This is a pretty big difference running the same code on the same hardware.
    Before submitting the code, is this a known issue?