[R] R shared library (/usr/lib64/R/lib/libR.so) not found.

Ista Zahn |@t@z@hn @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Aug 24 15:10:34 CEST 2018

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 6:57 AM Rolf Turner <r.turner using auckland.ac.nz> wrote:

> I *think* that this is an R question (and *not* an RStudio question!)

I think this is actually and Ubuntu question, and probably belongs on
R-sig-debian.

> I have, somewhat against my better judgement, decided to experiment with
> using RStudio.
>
> I downloaded and install RStudio.  Easy-peasy.  Nice lucid instructions.
>
> Then I tried to start RStudio ("rstudio" from the command line)
> and got a pop-up window with the error message:
>
> > R shared library (/usr/lib64/R/lib/libR.so) not found. If this
> > is a custom build of R, was it built with the --enable-R-shlib option?
>
> Oops, no, I guess it wasn't.  So I carefully did a
>
>      sudo make uninstall
>      make clean
>      make distclean
>
> and then did
>
>      ./R-3.5.1/configure <various flags>
>
> making sure I added the --enable-R-shlib flag.
>
> Then I did make and sudo make install.

IMO if you are compiling and installing software yourself on Linux
your are Doing It Wrong. Use the package manager, that is what it is
there for.

--Ista

It all seemed to go ...