[R] lattice barchart() with two variables

Wed Aug 22 20:05:21 CEST 2018

(I know that you said your post may already be "out of date", but ...)

"   Despite additional reading of barchart() examples and help pages I'm
still
missing how to get grouping working and use the years in the dataframe as
labels on the x-axis."

But ?barchart says:
"Formally, if groups is specified, then groups along with subscripts is
passed to the panel function, ..."

which, as I already told you, means you should consult ?panel.barchart . In
particular, the example therein tells you exactly how the "groups" argument
should be specified and how it works (you can change colors via the "col"
argument, of course). Note, in particular, that "groups" must be your
grouping variable, which means, in particular, that you need to reformat
your data frame in what is currently referred to as "tidy" format (aka
"long" format as opposed to "wide") -- one variable per column, one
observation per row.  That is:

Year     Value   Summary.Type
1991    91.24   "Med"
1991    92.89   "Max"
... etc.

.... groups = Summary.Type, ...
in your call will then do the job.

As an aside, this is a good example of why you should adhere to this format
for data analysis in R.

Cheers,
Bert

Bert Gunter