[R] Revolutions blog: July 2018 roundup

David Smith (CDA) d@vid@mi @ending from micro@oft@com
Wed Aug 8 18:35:55 CEST 2018

Since 2008, Microsoft staff and guests have written about R at the Revolutions
blog (http://blog.revolutionanalytics.com) and every month I post a summary of
articles from the previous month of particular interest to readers of r-help.

In case you missed them, here are some articles related to R from the
month of July:

R package authors validate quality and security for their packages with the
Linux Foundation's CII Best Practices Badge Program:
http://blog.revolutionanalytics.com/2018/07/cii-certification-for-r-packages.html

R scripts to generate images in the style of famous artworks, like Mondrian's:
http://blog.revolutionanalytics.com/2018/07/art-with-code.html

A 6-minute video tour of the AI and Machine Learning services in Azure,
including R:
http://blog.revolutionanalytics.com/2018/07/a-quick-tour-of-ai-services-in-azure.html

The July roundup of AI, Machine Learning and Data Science news:
http://blog.revolutionanalytics.com/2018/07/ai-roundup-july-2018.html

An R package used to tile hexagons, used to create a striking banner of hex
stickers for useR!2018:
http://blog.revolutionanalytics.com/2018/07/user-2017-hexwall.html

Highlights and links to videos from the useR!2018 conference:
http://blog.revolutionanalytics.com/2018/07/user-2018-recap.html

Video and R scripts from my workshop on creating an app to detect images of
hotdogs: http://blog.revolutionanalytics.com/2018/07/r-for-ai-video.html

Microsoft has released a number of open data sets produced from its research
programs: http://blog.revolutionanalytics.com/2018/07/msr-open-data.html

R 3.5.1 has been released:
http://blog.revolutionanalytics.com/2018/07/r-351-update-now-available-.html

And some general interest stories (not necessarily related to R):

* An app to visualize the distribution of street orientations in cities:
  http://blog.revolutionanalytics.com/2018/07/because-its-friday-urban-planning-fight.html

* A TED talk explores the link between spoken language and the way we think:
  http://blog.revolutionanalytics.com/2018/07/because-its-friday-language-and-thought.html

As always, thanks for the comments and please keep sending suggestions to
me at davidsmi using microsoft.com or via Twitter (I'm @revodavid).

Cheers,
# David

--
David M Smith <davidsmi using microsoft.com>
Developer Advocate, Microsoft Cloud & Enterprise