[R] Identifying columns with specific character

Thu Apr 19 00:27:14 CEST 2018

Your message came through all messed up because you did not tell your email program to use plain text format. This at best delays a responds and at worst prevents us from understanding your question as you intended.

1) The columns became factors when you created the data frame because you did not include the stringsAsFactors=FALSE argument. The apply function does NOT turn the columns to factors.

2) Your use of "x <-" in your apply function is misleading, though not destructive. Just omit that assignment.

dta2 <- apply(My.Data, 2, function (x) gsub("\\$", "", x)))