[R] bowed linear approximations

Fox, John jfox at mcmaster.ca
Mon Sep 25 22:36:00 CEST 2017

Dear Rich,

Assuming that I understand what you want to do, try adding the following to your script (which, by the way, is more complicated that it needs to be):

xx <- 10:50
m <- lm(y ~ x)
yy <- predict(m, data.frame(x=xx))
lines(spline(xx, yy), col="blue")

m <- lm(y ~ log(x))
yy <- predict(m, data.frame(x=xx))
points(xx, yy, col="magenta")

The first set of commands adds a line corresponding to the points that you plotted, which if I understand right, is *not* what you want. The second set of commands shows how to find points along the diagonal straight line that you plotted, given their x-values, which is what I think you want.

If you examine the linear models fit, you'll see that they just interpolate between the two points, albeit differently.

I hope this helps,
 John

John Fox, Professor Emeritus
McMaster University